Daniel Wiles, 31, of Wesley Place, Plymouth, failed to properly clean the appliance at a home in Villiers Close in the city.
He then failed to declare the fire “at risk” despite it having a damaged and inadequate seal that could have allowed poisonous carbon monoxide fumes to escape.
Mr Wiles was prosecuted today (18 October) by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after an investigation found serious concerns with his work.
He was fined a total of £600 and ordered to pay £1,500 in costs and £60 in compensation at Plymouth Magistrates’ Court after pleading guilty a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector, Simon Jones, said:
“Mr Wiles’ failure to declare the fire “at risk” put a pensioner’s life in danger and his neglect could have had tragic consequences. Members of the public who put their trust in gas engineers have a right to expect the work will be done thoroughly.
“In this case, the gas fire should have been properly cleaned, declared unsafe and then isolated because of the poor seal.
“Gas engineers must always ensure they do a proper job when working on gas appliances because lives depend on their actions.”
Further information on gas safety can be found on the HSE website atwww.hse.gov.uk/gas