Bethan O’Brien, 20, from Andover in Hampshire, was on a surfing trip in Braunton when her friends found her unconscious in their tent on Sunday.
Paramedics tried to revive her but she died at the scene. Her two friends were taken to hospital to be checked over.
South Western Ambulance Service said initial reports suggested carbon monoxide poisoning could be a factor.
A spokeswoman for Devon and Cornwall Police said officers were not treating the death as suspicious but would not reveal whether the group had been cooking in the tent prior to feeling unwell.
A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out.
Tributes to Ms O’Brien have been posted on social networking sites, with friends describing her as a “sweet” and “lovely person”.
Graham Mckenzie wrote: “In serious shock as I’m sure most people are.
“One of the nicest girls I have ever met, 20 is far too young.”
Another friend, Simon Renfrey added: “Such a shock. So sad to find out one of the nicest and kindest people you’ll ever meet has gone so young.”