Carbon Monoxide poisoning: recognising the symptoms and tackling the cause
NHS England wrote to all GPs in November this year to highlight the importance of recognising the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The letter said that with the onset of colder weather and the use of domestic heating systems at this time of year there can be an increase in cases of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
Accidental (and therefore preventable) carbon monoxide poisoning still results in recorded cases of around 40 deaths and 200 hospitalisations each year in England & Wales. Recent figures from the Department of Health indicate that there are 4,000 attendances at accident and emergency departments for treatment for CO poisoning each year in England. Whilst a considerable number of people die from accidental acute carbon monoxide poisoning, it is now confirmed many more are injured by sub-lethal exposure. It is likely that the true number exposed in this way is even greater than reported.
Read the full letter HERE>>NHS England Carbon_Monoxide_Letter_2013