First Gas Safety Management Conference huge success

The first gas Safety Management Conference took place on 24 April 2013 and was a huge success. The 180 delegates came from organisations from across the UK, primarily in social housing, and their input will help to shape the way forward for the industry for the next year. Many thanks to everyone who participated in the Conference, including the sponsors and speakers, and to all those who have given us such positive feedback.

It proved so popular that we are delighted to annouce that we have set the date for the 2014 Conference which will take place at the Belfry again on Tuesday 29 April and Wednesday 30 April 2104, with half a day of Conference, a Pre-Conference Dinner and golf tournament on Tuesday 29 April and a full day of Conference on Wednesday 30 April. More details will be announced over the next few months.

The Conference highlights are outlined below and more details and a gallery of photos can be found on the website.


Please let us have any further thoughts about the 2013 Conference and any ideas about how it can be developed further next year.


Claire Heyes, Joint CEO, CORGI Technical Services

01256 548040

Gas Safety Management Conference 2013 highlights:

– call for an increased awareness by senior management in social housing of Corporate Manslaughter responsibilities

– key role of Gas Managers in mitigating societal risk through risk determination, evaluation and management

– need for greater action on Carbon Monoxide (CO) awareness. First hand account of CO poisoning highlighted key role of Gas Managers

– importance of raising standards through education, sharing best practice and standard setting


Claire Heyes of CORGI Technical Services launches inagural Gas Safety Management Conference

“Gas Managers are skilled, knowledgable, committed and responsible people,” said Claire Heyes, Joint CEO of CORGI Technical Services as she welcomed delegates to the Conference.

“I am delighted by the overwhelmingly postive response from Gas Managers to the creation of the event. We set up this Conference to help develop the profession, allow Managers to discuss topical issues, share thoughts and experiences and to determine the actions to be taken forward as an industry.” Read more>>


David Kidney delivers keynote address highlighting action on CO awareness

“We need to be vigilant, disseminate good practice and help raise awareness of the dangers of CO poisoning,” said David Kidney, Chair of the Carbon Monoxide All Fuels Action Forum when he gave the keynote speech to the Conference. He called on delegates to take one more step forward to help prevent CO poisoning incidents. Read more>>


Chris Bielby MBE addresses key solutions to reducing CO poisoning cases

Chris Bielby MBE, the first President of the Association of Gas Safety Managers, called for CO alarms to be mandatory in all Housing Association properties and for more stringent policies and procedures to be in place for maintenance of appliances. “There is much more that can be done to reduce the number of incidents,” he said. Read more>>

Harrowing tale of Stacey & Dominic

Chris Bielby was joined by Stacey Rodgers of the Dominic Rodgers Trust who gave a very moving account of her tragic experience ten years ago when her ten year old son died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a leak from a downstairs flat. She is now a passionate campaigner for raising awareness of the need for installing CO alarms.

Delegates to the Conference were so move by her story that they requested details about how to make donations to the Dominic Rodgers Trust.

Please make cheques payable to “The Dominic Rodgers Trust” and post them to Office F5, The Media Centre, 7 Northumberland Street, Huddersfield HD1 1RL.

More information can be found on the Dominic Rodgers Trust website.


Call for increased awareness by senior management of Corporate Manslaughter responsibilities

“Knowledge and awareness of Corporate Manslaughter responsibilities at a senior level within social housing are key,” said Sally Roff of DAC Beachcroft, who has been involved with the preparation of the Corporate Manslaughter Bill. ” It is not a defence to say that you didn’t know what is happening…. Read more>>

Cost vs Compliance – the view from St Vincents Housing Association

High on the agenda for all Housing Associations are the challenges of weighing up ‘Cost versus Compliance’. Charlie Norman is Chief Executive of St Vincent Housing Association and she explained why her organisation has 100%  commitment to health & safety. Read more>>

Inaugral National Inter-Authority Gas Forum session

During the inaugural National Inter-Authority Gas Forum session, Kevin Winship, Technical Safety Manager for CORGI Technical Services drew attention to the responsibility of landlords for fires and cookers within properties, including those belonging to tenants.

“Landlords have duties on any appliance that the tenant cannot legally remove as well as any that have been left by a departing tenant,” he said. “Putting in place best practice processes and ensuring maintenance procedures are carried out correctly will mitigate the risks that could be encountered.” Read more>>


Nottingham City Homes first to receive CORGI Accreditation

At the Pre-Conference Presentation Dinner Nottingham City Homes were presented with their certificate for being the first organisation to receive CORGI Accreditation. Pictured receiving their certificate from Bill Paton, Joint CEO of CORGI Technical Services are Paul Ruston, Martin Bates and Steve Cooper of Nottingham City Homes.

Paul Ruston said: “The Accreditation process has been excellent for us and I thoroughly recommend anyone to go through the process. We can now be assured that all of our processes and procedures meet all legislative and best practice requirements.”