Britons have been warned about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) following the poisoning and subsequent death or injury of 40 people in the last two years.
The incidents all involved holidaymakers who stayed in a tent, caravan, cottage or boat in Britain, according to records from the Gas Safe Register.
New research released by the authority reveals that just over half (53 per cent) of Britons questioned in a survey did not know that leaving a smoking charcoal barbeque in an enclosed space like a tent or room can lead to CO poisoning.
More than one in three were also unaware that using a portable gas camping stove indoors could result in poisoning, while nearly a quarter of those surveyed did not realise the potential for CO to build up in a poorly-ventilated area with gas appliances, such as inside a caravan.
Worryingly, one in 10 people said that, should temperatures drop, they are likely to keep themselves warm by bringing a charcoal barbeque into a tent or caravan.