A Clevedon man has been prosecuted for illegally installing a gas boiler and flue at a property at Severn Beach, Bristol, while not registered with CORGI, the then industry body.
CORGI was superseded by the Gas Safe Register in April 2009.
North Avon Magistrates’ Court was told that Jeffrey Maslen, 47, from Clevedon, Somerset, installed the gas boiler with a totally inadequate flue. The flue in the attic space was later found to have come apart – potentially exposing the occupants of the house to deadly carbon monoxide.
During the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecution, magistrates heard Mr Maslen was not suitably qualified to undertake the work carried out at the property between 1 and 18 March 2009 and also did not hold the correct competencies to carry out the work.
In addition to not being registered with the industry body, he deliberately falsified paperwork to say he was a registered engineer.
Speaking after the hearing, health and safety inspector Caroline Bird said:
“Any business or sole trader who carries out any work on gas appliances without being on the Gas Safe Register is breaking the law. It is imperative that those who carry out work on gas fittings are properly registered with Gas Safe, and are competent to carry out the work.
“The consequences of incorrectly fitted gas appliances and inadequate flues can and does lead to loss of life. In this instance Mr Maslen pretended to be registered and aimed to deceive his customer, which highlights the need for householders to ensure they check the engineer’s ID card when they arrive at the door.”
Paul Johnston, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said:
“Only a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer should work on your gas appliances. Every Gas Safe registered engineer has an ID card and consumers should ask to see the card. Check it to see that it is valid, up to date and that the engineer is qualified to do the particular job at hand. You can also check an engineer by calling us on 0800 408 5500.”
Jeffrey Frank Maslen of Macleod Close, Clevedon, North Somerset was charged with contravening Regulation 3 (3), 3 (7) and 27 (1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He pleaded guilty and was given a 12 month community order requiring 100 hours of community service, an eight week curfew from 8pm to 7.30am and was ordered to pay full costs of £1,412.50.