An Onchan-based construction firm has been fined £4,000 for breaching health and safety legislation and endangering the public on the Isle of Man.
The offences took place in April 2011 whilst Corrigan Construction Ltd’s managing director Brendan Corrigan was working in a house in Crosby.
During the removal of a kitchen Mr Corrigan illegally disconnected and removed a gas hob.
Corrigan Construction Ltd was sentenced in Douglas Courthouse on Tuesday.
Health and Safety Inspectorate spokesman Robert Greaves said: “The case highlights the very real danger of unqualified tradesmen carrying out work for which they have not been trained.”
“In failing to both seal off the pipework and test the pipework for leaks, Corrigan Construction Ltd exposed the occupants of the property and nearby residents to the danger of leaking gas and the possibility of a gas explosion.
“Two years ago, a similar incident in Salford resulted in a gas explosion which injured 15 people,” he added.
Mr Corrigan was informed by the Deputy High Bailiff Mrs Jayne Hughes, that the fine would have been greater had it not been for his co-operation with the Health and Safety at Work Inspectorate during the investigation