An unregistered gas installer was caught illegally carrying out work on a house in Newark.
Mr Phillip Birchmore, trading as PSB Plumbing and Heating, capped off a gas supply at the property in August 2010. He then removed one boiler and hung a replacement boiler on the wall. Concerns were raised about the standard of the work and a Gas Safe inspector was called out to examine it.
It was discovered that the 42-year-old from Newark was not registered with Gas Safe and should not have attempted to undertake such a job. The matter was passed to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for investigation.
At Nottingham Magistrates’ Court today, HSE prosecuted Phillip Birchmore for breaching Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
He pleaded guilty and was today given a one year community order and told to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay costs of £3,053.
HSE inspector Steve Woods said:
“At the time of carrying out the work, Phillip Birchmore was not registered with Gas Safe. In order to work legally in the UK, gas installers must be registered with the appropriate approved body. It is essential that homeowners and landlords check this before having work carried out to ensure the job is completed to a high standard and most of all, is safe.
“Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause fires, explosions, gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning. Our message to everyone is clear – check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card before letting them begin work and check the details online or by calling 0800 408 5500.”