A THREE-YEAR-old child and a woman were taken to hospital for a check up after a suspected carbon monoxide leak in their home.
Firefighters were called to an address on Windy Arbor Road in Whiston after a carbon monoxide alarm was set off just before 8.23pm yesterday (Tuesday, April 9).
Crews using specialised equipment checked for levels of carbon monoxide.
Watch manager Ian Clarke from Whiston Fire Station said: “The occupiers had rung the 101 non emergency number and we were contacted along with paramedics.
“They had an alarm, which started sounding around tea time, but they thought this was due to a low or faulty battery. They changed the battery and the alarm sounded again so they called 101. “When we arrived, two of the occupiers said they had flu-like symptoms, which can be a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.
“However our equipment didn’t pick up any levels of carbon monoxide in the property. They had also contacted British Gas.
“We advise that people have carbon monoxide alarms in their homes and have their gas appliances serviced once a year.
“If people suspect carbon monoxide is in their home, they should open doors and windows and clear the air, turn off gas appliances and contact their gas supplier.”
This incident follows one on February 14, when firefighters were called to a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a house on Wargrave Road in Newton-le-Willows.
An elderly man was taken to hospital suffering from the effects of suspected poisoning. Using specialised equipment, crews registered carbon monoxide levels at 380 parts per million.
Between 400 to 600 Carbon Monoxide parts per million people can lose consciousness and vomit.
Fire appliances in Merseyside are taking part in a new project to highlight the threat of carbon monoxide.
The awareness campaign by the Gas Safe Register sees six appliances across Merseyside carrying messages raising awareness of the risks of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning and encouraging the public to have their gas appliances safety checked annually.
The Gas Safe Register has developed a number of tools including a web gas map tool which will inform consumers about gas safety statistics in their postcode area and offer an email reminder for when appliances should be safety checked. Carbon Monoxide is known as the Silent Killer.
You can’t see it, taste it or smell it and it can kill quickly with no warning. Every year the Silent Killer attacks over 4,000 people in the UK. The adverts see the hard-hitting words “4,000 victims. One silent killer” along with the website addresses www.silentkiller.co.uk where people can learn more about Carbon Monoxide.
Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are registered to work safely and legally on gas appliances. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register, which replaced CORGI registration in 2009. Is there a Silent Killer in your home?
Visit www.silentkiller.co.uk to find out how safe your home is. Enter your postcode to find a Gas Map showing gas risks in your area plus top tips to keep you safe.
You can find out more about gas safety in your home, how to find a registered engineer in your area, and how to check that they are qualified to work on your gas appliances, at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.