News & Views

Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 Approved Code of Practice and guidance This Approved Code of Practice and Guidance relates to the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. The Regulations deal with the safe installation, maintenance and use of gas systems, including gas fittings, appliances and flues mainly in domestic and commercial premises. […]

Portsmouth landlord fined for failing to meet basic gas safety regulations

A Portsmouth landlord has been fined for endangering lives after consistently failing to provide safety records for gas appliances at a property he rented out to a family. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) today prosecuted Peter Brown for breaching two counts of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 and one count of […]

Three people rescued from toxic fumes

An 84-year-old man and two women have been treated for the possible side effects of breathing in carbon monoxide from a faulty boiler at a house in Littlebury. Two fire crews were called to a detached cottage in Walden Road on Wednesday morning after the ground floor filled with smoke and the boiler produced noxious fumes. […]

World’s first Renewable Heat Incentive launched to reduce emissions

The world’s first financial incentive of its kind to revolutionise the way heat is generated and used in buildings has been launched by Energy Secretary Chris Huhne. The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) will support emerging technologies and businesses in the UK, strengthening security of supply by reducing dependence on fossil fuel heating and emissions. Read […]

CORGI Recruitment formed specifically to serve the gas and renewable industry

CORGI Recruitment is a new recruitment organisation formed specifically to serve the gas and renewable industry. Two established and respected companies have joined together to pool their expertise to provide the industry (estimated to employ some 235,000 people) a dedicated service run by a team that understands the specialist needs of recruiting into the sector. […]

Father blinded after gas engineer’s blunder

A father of two was blinded in one eye by an explosion at his North Yorkshire home after a bungled repair to a gas fire. Qualified gas engineer Simon Challis thought he had successfully completed the job when he asked householder Peter Cox to use the fire’s remote control to ignite it, as he was […]

Gas Safety Trust funds educational fuel safety seminars

Gas Safety Trust funds educational fuel safety seminars The Gas Safety Trust has agreed to fund a series of ‘free’ seminars delivered by CORGI Technical Services. These will be aimed at a wide range of gas/fossil fuel associations and organisations, including housing professionals working with the elderly, the infirm, vulnerable people, plus ethnic minority groups.