Boy treated for CO gas poisoning at Dawlish caravan park

A three-year-old boy has been treated for the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning at a caravan site in Devon.

The emergency services were called to the site on Exeter Road, in Dawlish, after a detector alarm sounded in the caravan where he was staying.

The gas was found to be leaking from a lamp, a spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said.

The colourless and odourless gas reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen and can be fatal.

It is produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal.

The boy was checked by paramedics at the scene early on Saturday morning.

A spokesman from the fire service said: “This reinforces the importance of being careful when using fossil fuels in enclosed spaces and the importance of having a carbon monoxide detector.”