Carbon monoxide alarm petition launched after gas death

The family of a newlywed who died of carbon monoxide poisoning is calling for new legislation.

Katie Haines, 31, drowned in the bath at her Wokingham home after inhaling carbon monoxide from a leaking boiler in February 2010.

Now her family has set up an e-petition calling on the government to ensure that carbon monoxide alarms are fitted with carbon burning appliances.

They need 100,000 signatures for it to be discussed in the House of Commons.

‘Make a change’

Mrs Haines’ mother Avril Samuel said: “The death of Katie spurred us to try and make a change in this country on carbon monoxide.

“We want legislation to ensure that carbon monoxide alarms are fitted when carbon burning appliances are installed, as is mandatory in Northern Ireland and Scotland.

“We feel it is the most important thing we have done in Katie’s memory.”

Carbon monoxide (CO) is colourless and has no taste or smell, which means it is difficult to detect.

Mrs Haines died a month after returning from her honeymoon.

Her family set up The Katie Haines Memorial Trust after her death, which aims to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

A law requiring alarms in all new homes in Northern Ireland was introduced in 2012.