Gas safety failings cost man £6,500

Philip Bowden of Daisy Path, Stoke Gabriel, Totnes, pleaded guilty to safety failings after employing someone to undertake gas work on his behalf that was not a member of Gas Safe Register.

He appeared at Newton Abbot Magistrates’ Court and was fined £4,000 with costs of £2,500 after pleading guilty to breaching Regulation 4 of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

The court heard that the incident took place at Meadfoot Lane, Torquay, In September and October 2012 where Philip Bowden had control of gaswork (gas boiler installation at a residential property) but the person that he arranged to undertake that gaswork on his behalf was not a member of Gas Safe Register.

More information about maintaining machinery safely can be found at