Gas Safety Trust calls for more research into CO poisoning

Speaking following the tragic death of a family at a caravan park in Camborne, Cornwall at the weekend from suspected carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, Professor Mary Benwell, past Chair and Research Coordinator at the Gas Safety Trust said:

“Government and gas industry initiatives have led to a significant decrease in the number of deaths caused by carbon monoxide from natural gas appliances over the last 40 years.

“However the tragic death of a family in Camborne over the weekend (23 February 2013) is a reminder that there is no room for complacency when it comes to carbon monoxide awareness and prevention. It is just as important to understand and address the risks from the use of bottled gas in the way we have for gas in our home appliances.

“There is a clear lack of understanding about the risks of CO, which has no smell or taste, and you can’t see it. As the trusted source of information and evidence in relation to CO poisoning from gas, oil and solid fuels, the Gas Safety Trust supports research projects to enable the better understanding of these risks. We are urging academics, medical professionals, researchers and engineers to apply for support and funding from the Gas Safety Trust for relevant projects.  Findings will be used to improve fuel safety, build knowledge and create a better understanding about how to stop this needless cause of death and injury.”