Government to review use of carbon monoxide alarms in rented homes

The Government is considering making all landlords install a carbon monoxide alarm into rented homes, as part of its review into the safety of rented accommodation.

MPs have welcomed the news the Government is to review the rules and regulations relating to carbon monoxide alarms. TheCommunities and Local Government Committee recommended the installation of carbon monoxide detectors early this year.

Clive Betts, chair of the Committee, said: ‘I am pleased the Government is listening to the Committee’s concerns about the dangers of carbon monoxide. Much more must be done to tackle the threat of the silent killer. Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive and save lives.

The Government should require all rented homes to be fitted with an audible, wired-up carbon monoxide detector wherever a relevant heating appliance is installed, as the Committee has recommended.’