A new Level 2 VRQ (Vocationally Related Qualification) has been launched by CORGI Technical Services and EAL (Excellence Achievement Learning Ltd) specifically for front line social housing staff to help raise their awareness of gas safety issues.
At the request of several Housing Associations, who wanted a recognised qualification to demonstrate the commitment of their organisation to gas safety with relevant, quality training, the new course is a Level 2 VRQ in Gas Safety Awareness in Social Housing. Designed specifically for housing staff who are in the front line of gas safety every day, it would suit roles such as Housing Officers, Social Workers, Surveyors, Maintenance Operatives, Call Centre Staff, Gas Admin Staff and Voids Officers.
The qualification, training and associated study unit have been designed by CORGI and accredited by EAL.
The course consists of a half day training programme which is delivered by an experienced gas expert from CORGI’s training team and covers these areas:-
- Gas awareness – an understanding of how gas behaves is it leaks and how it burns safely
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) awareness – an explanation of how CO is produced, what it does to the body and how to recognise the symptoms of CO poisoning
- CO Detection – understanding the safety measures that can reduce the risk of CO poisoning
- Safe gas appliances – identifying good combustion and unsafe appliances/installations
- Landlord Responsibilities and Legislation – an overview of the legal requirements placed on Social Landlords
- Gas Safe Registration – an understanding of the registration requirements and how to check operatives qualifications
- Dealing with reports of fumes and gas escapes – how to keep your customers/tenants safe in their homes
Claire Heyes, Joint CEO of CORGI Technical Services commented: “Our clients saw the success of the Level 4 VRQ for managers in social housing who are responsible for gas safety and requested a recognised qualification that a wide range of other front line staff could take to raise their awareness of gas safety issues. This Level 2 VRQ has been developed specifically to meet this need. We believe it will be suitable for a range of staff who might encounter issues relating to gas safety and will help to keep tenants safe and ensure the organisations meet their legal requirements.”
Course dates for the Level 2 VRQ in Gas Safety Awareness in Social Housing are:-
- Scotland – 16 January 2013
- Manchester – 24 January 2013
- London – 31 January 2013
- North East – 7 February 2013
- Birmingham – 12 February 2013
- Bristol – 20 February 2013
In-house courses can also be run on request.
Details about how to book on the course can be found at:-
or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or 01256 548040