MPs debated the Household Safety (Carbon Monoxide Detectors) Bill at second reading on 12 September 2014.

This is a private members’ bill that was introduced by the Conservative MP for High Peak, Andrew Bingham.

The bill would introduce a requirement that a functioning carbon monoxide detector must be installed in all newly built and all rented residential properties.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste, and is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal or wood do not burn fully.

According to the NHS, every year in the UK over 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 40 deaths.