Red Kite Community Housing to install CO alarms in every home

“We are going to install carbon monoxide detectors in every one of our homes, including leasehold”…

That’s the latest from Red Kite Community Housing as they start a programme to make sure every single one of their tenanted and leasehold properties has this life-saving piece of equipment installed.

Having recently met and welcomed Stacey Rodgers in their Red Kite offices, they have promised to fit a carbon monoxide detector in every home to make sure that their residents are kept safe and alerted to the dangers of the colourless and odourless gas.

Stacey Rodgers is the founder of the Dominic Rodgers Trust which she set up after she lost her only son, Dominic, who died at the age of 10 after poisonous fumes from a neighbour’s boiler seeped into his bedroom. Since then she has campaigned to highlight the dangers of carbon monoxide in confined spaces including tents at camp sites.

To support their ongoing responsibility as a landlord to regularly service and maintain any gas and fossil fuel appliances in their homes, Stacey will mark the start of this programme by fitting a carbon monoxide detector in a number of their homes.

“Doing what we can to keep our tenants safe and protected from this poisonous gas has always been a priority but Stacey’s story highlights even further how it is everyone’s responsibility to play their part”, said Alan Keers, Director of Operations.

“In Dominic’s case, carbon monoxide originated in a neighbour’s home so we would urge everyone to remember how important it is to have appliances regularly serviced“, he added.

Over the next few months, every Red Kite home will be visited by one of their gas contractors and fitted with a free carbon monoxide detector, provided by Sprue Safety Products, the leading safety products provider in Europe.

CORGI Technical Services, who work with housing associations to achieve the highest standards in gas safety, are also supporting this initiative. Claire Heyes, Joint CEO of CORGI Technical Services said: “Installing CO detectors in all homes is an important step in keeping tenants safe. Coupling this with their regular programme of servicing and maintaining gas appliances, as well as raising awareness of the dangers of CO poisoning, this initiative by Red Kite is a major step forward to ensure the safety of their tenants.”

Notes to editor: Recent analysis revealed that from this dangerous invisible gas:

  • 4,000 people go to A&E
  • 200 people are hospitalised
  • there are around 50 deaths in England and Wales Carbon monoxide (CO) is the most widespread form of poisoning in the home. CO is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell. Early symptoms are similar to the ‘flu’. They can include nausea, dizziness, tiredness, headaches, stomach pains or chest pains. If you experience these symptoms but feel better when you are outside or away from the appliance, you could be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Signs that indicate there may be a strong risk of CO being produced include:
  • sooting or staining on or around your appliance
  • excessive condensation in the room where the appliance is installed
  • if you are using a gas appliance, it should have a crisp blue flame, such as a pilot light. If it turns to a lazy orange flame, the appliance may not be working correctly.
  • You are more at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if:
  • Your appliance was poorly installed
  • Your appliance is not working properly
  • Your appliance has not been safety checked and serviced annually
  • You use oversized cooking pots that are too large for individual gas rings
  • There is not enough fresh air in the room
  • Your chimney or flue is blocked