Unregistered engineer jailed after unsafe gas work

An unregistered engineer has been jailed after carrying out unsafe gas work at a property in Bacton, Norfolk.

Norwich Crown Court heard how Christopher Johnson was contracted by the householder to install gas pipework, a gas cooker, gas hob and gas fire. The work took place in the summer of 2016. After several gas leaks occurred, the householder contacted Gas Safe Register who inspected the work.

The installations were classified by Gas Safe Register as ‘Immediately Dangerous’ and ‘At Risk’.

Mr Johnson had previously been prosecuted for similar offences in 2012 and 2013. He also falsified a Gas Safe registration number on invoices for the work.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) alongside Gas Safe Register (GSR) found Johnson was not registered or competent to do the work.

Christopher David Johnson of Kings Lynn, Norfolk pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3 (2) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. He also pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 3 (1) and 3 (3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Mr Johnson was today sentenced to 14 months in prison.

Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Ivan Brooke said: “This work was dangerous and placed the householder and other contractors at risk from fire, explosion and carbon monoxide poisoning. Mr Johnson should have considered that being Gas Safe Registered is not an option when carrying out gas work; it is mandatory. He knew he was not qualified and should have declined this project.”